We stock products that nourish hair and are a joy to use.
Their back stories are an added bonus...
Lorraine Massey has been a constant force of evolution and yet consistency. As author and genesis of all things 'Curly Girl Method', Lorraine was equally revolutionary in starting the DevaChan salon and DevaCurl range of products. After selling the Deva brand in 2013, Lorraine continued to evolve forward and began a new umbrella brand for her activities both internationally and for her new salon space in New York, that brand being Curly World. "The laws of nature cannot be forced or contained for long. Curls are an inclusive part of nature and do not need to be fixed, tamed, controlled or hidden under an avalanche of counterintuitive products.
Once you understand your Curl's interactive relationship to atmospheric conditions, you will want and appreciate only the best sourced ingredients.CurlyWorld product are generously infused with high quality botanicals that include Bamboo fibers, Aloe vera, Coconut water and the Resurrection Plant. Among other things, these help to nourish and protect, giving you refreshingly bouncy hydrated curls."
ABOUT INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
We first fell in love with the Innersense range after it was recommended to us by Susanne at 'Me, My Curls and I', in San Diego. Lugging our purchase back to NZ we were immediately impressed by the hydrating ingredients and highest quality standards, as well as the huge support it had in the international curl community. We knew this was a must-have to stock at Curls Naturally.
Innersense Organic Beauty is a business run by Greg & Joanne, Morgan, and Max, who through their own family journey have developed an unwavering commitment to clean, pure and beautiful which is reflected in every aspect of every product, each formulated with the highest intention and purity, sourcing, harvesting and processing.
And just as important as what’s in their products is what’s not. Many conventional products include silicones, resins, plastics and other synthetics that add a slick coating or a slippery feel. These give the illusion of moisture and shine but over time, those are the exact ingredients that build up and create dull, dry, unloved hair.
With all Innersense Organic Beauty products you can count on...
- Ingredients straight from nature, grown organically and sustainably without chemicals. ethically harvested and sourced from trusted, transparent plantations, orchards and farms from around the world.
- Ingredients formulated through conscious chemistry; cold-pressed, distilled or otherwise processed without synthetics to preserve purity.
- Products formulated free of phthalates, ethoxylates, sulfates, silicones, 1,4 dioxane, parabens, petro compounds, propylene and butylene glycol, PEG, MEA, TEA, MIA, EDTA artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances.
- High concentrations of key ingredients meaning less water.
- All products being gluten-free, cruelty-free and non-GMO.
ABOUT BOUCLÈME (pron BOO-KLE-M)
Apart from having the coolest name this side of France (it makes use of the french word for curly ('bouclée'), and having the chic-est pastel branding this side of anywhere, Bouclème is known by the international curl community for being a spa line-up that simplifies life, yet delivers excellent hydration and hold.
Proudly manufactured in the UK, Bouclème was created by Michele the founder, out of a desire to have healthy, frizz free curls using all natural ingredients. She was frustrated with the sulfate and silicone based curl products available, which stripped away moisture and weighed down her curls, and wanted to create a range using pure natural actives that deliver moisture where it’s needed and that with long-term use would improve the condition of curls.
Passionate about the planet as much as they are about curl-care, Bouclème bring you naturally derived, sustainable products in eco-friendly packaging. Glorious. They believe in sustainability and farmers being paid fairly - and use fair trade ingredients wherever possible.
They endeavour to protect and safeguard our environment. All packaging can be recycled and product ingredients are biodegradable, making Bouclème safe for the environment as well as safe for your body. Bouclème products do not contain chemical nasties.
Their eco-certified preservative is used in the minimum amount possible. It protects their carefully selected ingredients from developing harmful mould and bacteria, prolonging product shelf life.
They test their products on real curls, never on animals, and work with a panel of testers with different curl issues.
Bouclème's "0% POLICY" means they will never use these ingredients...
- Silicones - plastic film formers. Coat the hair, creating an illusion of smooth shiny locks. Most are not water-soluble and can build up on the hair, preventing moisture from entering the cuticle so with long term use curls become very dry.
- Sulphates - harsh detergents used in washing-up liquid and engine degreasers. Strip all moisture from your hair leaving curls parched and frizzy.
- Petroleum (also called mineral or paraffin oil) - by-product of the oil industry and not eco-friendly. Slows the rate at which cells are renewed and linked to an increased risk of cancer. Can cause dryness, allergic reactions, and clogs pores.
- Propylene glycol - the active ingredient in anti freeze. Penetrates the skin quickly and linked to serious health problems (liver and kidney damage as well as respiratory irritation). Cheap and widely-used in most skin and hair care formulations.
- Parabens - commonly used synthetic preservatives. Endocrine disruptors that interfere with the proper functioning of the endocrine system. Mimic oestrogen and suspected of major health risks with long-term use such as cancer.
- PEGs - petroleum-based compounds created using a known skin carcinogen - ethylene oxide.
- Phthalates - are a class of widely used industrial compounds known technically as dialkyl or alkyl aryl esters of 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid. They are used in cosmetics and personal care products, including perfume, hair spray, soap, shampoo, nail polish, and skin moisturisers. They are suspected endocrine disruptors and in high doses can affect human reproduction and development.
- Synthetic fragrances - 95% of chemicals in fragrances are synthetic compounds of petroleum. Can irritate the skin and cause allergies.
- Synthetic colours - may contain heavy metal salts. Contribute to skin irritations and contact dermatitis.
ABOUT ECOSLAY, THE LOVELY ADRIA, AND HER FAMOUS ORANGE MARMALADE
When we first saw footage of Ecoslay's über-popular 'Orange Marmalade' Flaxseed and Aloe Curl Definer being made in Adria's kitchen and being shipped internationally, we thought - time to get our own flaxseed gel-making pinnies off and get a hold of these people! Finding out that the same values that drive her business also drive her family life as a mum and wife, we were impressed.
We untied the apron strings for good and let Ecoslay slay us with their best products...and we were hooked.
Adria believes in the power of people and information combined. 'Reach one, teach one' is her motto. She also believes that we should use ingredients that are good for us, believing that what we put ON your body is just as important as what we put IN it...
"Why should I take the care of putting organic fruits and veggies in my diet while slathering my hair and scalp with ingredients that I can't pronounce?" she writes.
"You don't have to worry about reading the ingredients label (although you should!) because you can trust that I have your back", and her German Shepherd's too (who I'm told would give Adria the side eye if there was ever any shenanigans). Cruelty-free and a pet-lover. Just as it should be(autiful)!
Adria respects the environment, encouraging us to do the same, "This home is not just ours. We only get to take in it's awe because of those that have come before us. This means that we have a responsibility to consider those that will come after us", and she respects YOU "Be kind to one another: Where do I even start? We've got to lift each other up. The world can be a cruel place. I strongly believe that I've done my job when I've put a smile on your face and a spring in your step."
ABOUT 'LHDC' (LONG HAIR DON'T CARE) FROM THE USA AND THE MAKER - AJ RODRIGUEZ - A SELF-CONFESSED NON-MARKETER
LHDC came to Curls Naturally after a hopeful email was sent to AJ Rodriguez, the maker of LHDC, knowing that demand was outstripping supply worldwide…
Curls Naturally’s charm must have worked, as he replied with a fast message ‘I’d be stoked to supply NZ!!’
AJ's only digital spaces are his shop on Etsy 'GoldiLochzShop' and his Instagram page, with his IG page @los.peach.trees being very, umm ... conceptual.
This means that you won't find much online about LHDC apart from a few reviews, including one by our friend Lindsay at Curls Only on Naturallycurly.com.
However, pop inside any international group for curls and you will find LHDC is a stayer, and a popular one at that, with faithfuls who number in the thousands using it for their co-wash and leave-in conditioner.
We can't wait to see what you think!
ABOUT CLEVER CURLThe Clever Curl range is direct from Australia, launched in Sept 2019 in response to the curl community of Australia wanting to have a product of Australian origin and design. <>It is the result of collaborative think-tank effort by leading curl specialists, The Ethical Brand Company (who produce the EverEscents range) and many leading voices in The Curly Girl Method across the ditch.
The entire range has been designed to be Vegan, 100% CG friendly, ethically sourced and produced, and designed to meet the needs of people wishing to wear their natural texture in the dry and the humid conditions of life in the Southern Hemisphere. Their consideration of humectants was key in the launch of the Dry Weather Gel and the Humid Weather Gel. We are the authorised stockist for Clever Curl in NZ, and look forward to representing the new kid on the block from Australia with kiwi pride!
WHICH BRAND WILL BE NEXT AT CURLS NATURALLY?